Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Today was the last day.

The night before Arlene's mom had given me bags of barley and brown rice because they hardly eat it. She also gave me a jar of home-made miso and some prepackaged miso, bonito flakes, and a one-dollar Canadian coin with the olympic symbol on it. I took these home with me. That morning we had food waiting for us on the kitchen table because Arlene's mom was at work, so I put some in a lunch box to eat on the Greyhound later. It was potato salad, breaded chicken, breaded pig heart pieces, and rice wrapped in seaweed with a filling that I don't know the name of.

We went to Metro Town (the mall) and played the arcade game Pop'n Music (the link isn't the same version as the one I played, ours was newer and two-person instead of one) one last time, and went to TNT which is a mostly-Chinese food store. I bought a lychee green tea drink, youkan which is a Japanese snack, and dried fish. People tend to stare at me when I go into those stores because I'm white and out of place.

Then we went to the Greyhound station to drop off my luggage. We put it in the locker but the locker was broken and all our coins got stuck, so we had to run around the building trying to find someone who would help us with it. No one who worked there had accentless English. Eventually we got a refund and managed to get it put in a different locker.

Then we took a bus to Arlene's mom's workplace. We chatted with her for a few minutes and she gave us a bag with a juice box and some Girl Guide (Girl Scout) cookies in it that a coworker had given her that morning. She took a couple photos with us and then we had to go back to the Greyhound station because I needed to leave. Arlene waited in line with me until the bus started loading.

The border went okay. Going to Canada they asked tons of questions and even made me show my school ID to prove I was a student. They also looked up Arlene's address to make sure it was real. But they didn't check any of our bags. Going to the states, they only asked two or three questions but they scanned our bags. I brought food and meat along and you're not supposed to do that but they didn't even ask me if I was bringing any (they asked the people before me but skipped me somehow) and didn't say anything after my bag went through the x-ray machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment