Saturday, September 5, 2009

FIRST, SOME SHARK.

Yesterday we went to the mall again, and I bought Icelandic soda. I forgot what kind I had, but I didn't like it.



These were bags we found in the mall. The designs on them mimic the traditional pattern of the Icelandic sweater.

Today we went to Reykjavík again, (from now on I'll probably just say "we went to town" instead of Reykjavík) and we went to the flea market. It's open weekends and has booths with people selling clothes, toys, food, et cetera. Basically it's a ton of people wandering around and looking at stuff in booths and on hangers.



I got a children's story in Icelandic, a wool coat (3000 ISK / 24 USD) and a hand-made Icelandic wool sweater (9500 ISK / 75 USD). After that, we went and both Snorri and I tried hákarl, which is basically fermented shark (see the video I linked in the beginning of the post - that was my first time). Snorri lost his scarf somewhere in the flea market, and was unable to find it again...



This is both the sweater and coat. They're really warm!

We left the flea market, and as we were walking around we saw a protest going on. There was a speech, then a band would play, then there would be another speech. It was about saving certain areas of the city from turning into hotels(?). One of the areas they wanted to save was the place we were standing in, I think, which was a kind of gathering area.



This flag is from Brittany, a region in France. We met a girl at the protest who had this flag on her backpack, and she said she was from there.

There was a soccer match today, Iceland versus Norway. There were people walking around with flags and costumes.







I bought a hotdog, and as I was waiting in line a Norwegian tv crew from TV 2 asked if anyone knew English - myself and two other girls said yes, and then they asked if we knew anything about the football match. I said that I only knew that it was against Norway, so they asked if they could ask me some questions. They turned their camera on and asked who I thought would win and why - I said Iceland, of course!

Later my friend from Norway was online so I asked her to look up the footage of the game to see if I was on there or not, but she was too lazy.



Then we went to the bookstore to look for a dictionary. They're a bit expensive and most of them are for Icelanders learning English, but if I'm going to study I really need to get one while I'm here. I could get two for under $100 (I forgot the exact cost, around $70 I think), which would help me a lot with studying, but if I tried to find them online or in the US I would be paying at least $300 for the same one.









More puffins.

Then we went to the grocery store and I bought a Coke in a glass bottle. As we were walking back to the car I took a picture of the church from the other day, so you can see how it looks when they're working on it.



This is the church.



The sign says "The Danish Pub". The sign in the window above says "Hello daddy, hello mommy, will you house me?"

This is more shark.

No comments:

Post a Comment