Thursday, September 17, 2009

Snorri, Roxy, and I went to some yarn stores and bought yarn for my grandma, so she can knit some scarves. A bundle of yarn was a smaller size than they sell in the US, but I bought double the amount and it still cost about the same amount as buying some in the US. It was traditional Icelandic yarn, like used in my sweater, and I bought traditional colours.

We watched three movies at the film festival, and then another movie at home. I watched "Parque Vía" first, which had a small twist at the end but overall wasn't very impressive. It was alright, but would have been a lot better if it wasn't so drawn-out. Snorri thinks it would make a better book than movie.







These were near the building where some of the movies were being showed.

After that we watched "The Girl", which I thought was a very sad movie, but Snorri didn't agree with me.

The third movie from the film festival was "Three Wise Men", which had a few things I liked in it. Overall it was a sad movie too, but I didn't think it was as sad as the previous movie. At home, we watched "Kairo", a Japanese movie, and I liked that one a lot. It was one of those movies where you could see it as a statement about society and emotions and such, and it would give everything a double meaning.

I watched some other movies at the festival too, but the links aren't working for some of them. One that I did like a lot was "North", which had some fun jokes and ended in the perfect spot.

In the last few days of my stay, Snorri's girlfriend Aino came over. I'm friends with her too, so we had a good time. We went to see the Golden Circle, which is a series of tourist spots that are relatively close together, and it's common to see all of them at once.







Some of the view on the way, during the trip.



Snorri and Aino looking at a map. We got lost at one point.





A sign on the side of the road.









We went to this waterfall. Going back and forth, I accidentally slipped and fell into a shallow area of water. I didn't hurt myself, but my shoes and one of my coat sleeves got muddy.



There were a lot of paths around that you couldn't actually walk on, probably to save the vegetation. Aino's Finnish, so of course she had to step just barely over the line.



A path next to an area they used to drown people in. There was a plaque talking about how they used to kill them by drowning.



This was a small cave. Snorri said it wasn't very deep.



We went to the place where the famous Geysir is. That geyser is where we got the name "geyser" in English. Geysir doesn't go off any more, but there was a smaller one that still does.



At some point we also went to a giant waterfall. There were a lot of tourists around all of these places, so it was hard to find a time where I could take pictures without anyone else in them.

2 comments:

  1. Hey hey! I finally got around to reading your blog. Eeeeee. I love all the photos you've taken, and all your little stories-within-stories. Especially the glacier! The very concept of so much ice in one place does my little Australian head in. And unpatriotic as it may sound, the barren uninhabitated wastes there also seem a very great deal prettier than ours. It certainly seems quite the adventure!

    You inspire me to visit Iceland! Well, you and Sigur Ros. And Bjork. And "The Saga of the People of the Laxardal." And... yeah, I guess Iceland has a pretty good track record of being awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alice -

    I would hope that there are more reasons for you to go to Iceland than music and such, really. Do you want to study Icelandic with me? I want study partners!

    That glacier is either the biggest or second biggest glacier in Europe, depending on how you measure it.

    I don't edit my photos (I only edited one to make it a little lighter, that was the one with the statue with sunglasses) and the colours are pretty much exactly what they actually were in real life. It's like a fairytale when you go to the countryside, and even the buildings in the capital are all interesting-looking. Iceland is amazing.

    ReplyDelete