Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Yesterday we went to the post office to mail some things, and Snorri's friend who happened to work there was just getting off her shift, so he drove her to her school so she could have more time before her class started. We walked around her school a little bit, looking at the murals on the walls.

We went to a bank in a mall so I could exchange some money because I didn't get to do it on Sunday. Then we looked around in a gift shop to try and find things for my dad. He wanted "something you can hang on the wall" but I haven't really found anything like that so far, so I was looking for an old-style map or something. I bought him a pack of cards where each card has a different picture of Icelandic scenery. We also saw jars with old Icelandic coins, old stamps, lava rock or something like that (I can't remember) and glaciers. You're supposed to put the glacier jar in the freezer because, obviously, at room temperature it's just water. They were somewhere around 800kr each, I think.



We're going to see this movie! It's Iceland's first thriller movie.

We went to the bookstore and I bought an Icelandic-English-Icelandic dictionary. Then we went to Café Paris, where we sat at a table next to a tourist couple from Connecticut.



This was a view out the window from our spot in the café.

They talked with the waitress a lot, and wondered random things about Icelanders and Iceland aloud to each other. The lady didn't know where Finland (or Norway? One of them) was on the globe and her husband tried to explain the location to her. Thanks to them we found out the waitress is half American and half Icelandic, and moved to Iceland when she was three. I almost talked to them but decided I didn't want to be stuck in some two-hour conversation or something, so I didn't.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but when getting off the plane, as soon as we landed a girl a few rows in front of me started complaining about the service. She didn't like that she only got one napkin with her meal, even though she had paid such-and-such amount for it. She made a really huge deal out of it even though she could have just asked for more than one napkin.



I've been snacking on this a bit. Dried fish! It's pretty much what I expected, except that I thought it would have a stronger taste. I'm used to some of the Asian kinds where they flavour them with things, this is better.



The other day when I went on the bus, Snorri forgot to give me some old bus fare tickets he had.







This is the dictionary and some of the cards from the deck that I bought. All the best dictionaries were for Icelanders who were learning English, sadly. They had two textbooks in stock, one was the one I already own and another was for immigrants who were taking classes in Iceland, because there were zero instructions in English even though it was a beginner's book.





This is the children's book I got the other day at the flea market.



This is Snorri's dining room.





This is his living room.



This is in his hallway. The map on the top-left is "the world according to America". It's a bit outdated, but still kind of funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment