Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Yesterday we went to the mall and looked at children's books in Icelandic for me. Snorri translated some of them and told me which ones he read as a child, et cetera, but they were expensive so we decided we're going to go to the flea market over the weekend and look for books there.

We went to Café Paris and chatted with one of Snorri's friends, and the two of them were drawing. After we had been there a while a Swedish man (who looked kind of like Santa) came up to us and asked us where we were from and if we were artists. He had some trouble understanding us. He left our table and then doubled back, saying that he was an artist too, and showed us a carving that he had done. He was wearing it around his neck.

Today we went to the University and asked them what I would have to do, as a foreign student, to get into the school. They gave me a couple pamphlets and I was going to look through them, but Snorri's friend (who takes classes at the University and who was showing us around) accidentally took them with her. From what I remember from Snorri talking to the people at the school, I'll need to send them my transcripts and they'll evaluate whether or not I can get in. His mom had told me earlier that you just needed to pay a small kind of application fee or something like that, as far as she knew.

We went to a museum on campus and it talked about the history of churches in Iceland, old clothing and writing, old work tools and fashion accessories, et cetera. There were things even up until ten and twenty years ago. They had a photography exhibit, and an old rotating baggage-claim conveyor belt that had items from about 1910 to the 1990's. One of the things they had was old-style clothing that you could try on. It was either all or mostly women's clothing, but there was a men's hat.

There is an old-style map that I've been seeing around, on postcards and in gift shops. It's the one that looks like this:



There was a bigger version of that, and lighter coloured so it was easier to read, on the wall in one area of the museum. They had glued thumb tacks to some parts and you could pull them out like puzzle pieces and see facts about Iceland or some of the things in the museum.

There was a group of tourists who had a tour guide show them around the museum, but we didn't do that. Overhearing the guide, it didn't seem like it was even worth it to get a tour because you could learn everything they talked about by just reading all the things in the exhibits.

I didn't bring my camera with me into the museum, and I didn't take any pictures of the University either, so I can't show you those. We were mostly shown the parts of the University that had to do with science, like biology and chemistry and such, because those are the kinds of classes Snorri's friend takes. In one group of buildings they built walkways connecting them, so you can travel from one building to another and never have to walk out in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment